Once upon a time, Lana Del Rey was Brooklyn’s Goddess. Now Grammy Award Winner Bebe Rexha has taken the throne and we love it.
Bebe Rexha is a Brooklyn born, Grammy Award winning singer-songwriter based on the West Coast. If you haven’t heard her debut single “I Can’t Stop Drinking About You” or latest track “I’m Gonna Show You Crazy” you must have been sailing the high seas without a radio signal. Ruffling some feathers and certainly rattling a few cages along the way with her exotic looks there’s no doubt that she is 2015’s show stopping act to follow.
She masterminded the huge Billboard #1 Hit “The Monster” by Eminem featuring Rihanna which earned her a nice shiny Grammy for her troubles. When she’s not writing hit songs, she features on them with artists such as David Guetta and Pitbull.
See the full interview below.
1. You’re originally from Brooklyn, but now reside in LA – is there an advantage to spending more time in California with your style of music?
California definitely has a chill vibe. The weather makes you happier and more positive. A lot of the people I work with are in LA so it’s been nice to be constantly living in the studio and doing what I love on the West Coast.
2. What’s the story behind your latest song “I’m Gonna Show You Crazy?” and is it the sequel to your first single “I Can’t Stop Drinking About You”?
Both songs have an electronic feel. They both display where I was at that time in my life. But My new single ‘I’m Gonna Show You Crazy’ is very true as a whole to who I am and what I’ve been through. It is really about knowing it’s ok to not be ok. It’s not about being legit crazy it’s about feeling like you’re an outsider but there’s nothing wrong with that. I was bitter during that time but I needed that. It helped shaped me and my music. Going through a hard time makes you a better person. Going through hell those two years was worth it.
3. From your Instagram you seem to be involved creatively in a lot of areas, do you have any hidden talents?
I LOVE cooking. I just got my first apartment and whenever people come over my favorite thing to do is shock them with some great italian food. My friends also say I’m hilarious & that I could be a comedian, their words not mine. 🙂
4. You have an identifiable & unique style, Tell us some of your style influences?
Kate Moss and Blondie. I’m not afraid to try new things. I think fashion should be fun!
5. The Monster by Eminem ft. Rihanna sold a huge 3 million copies and spent 5 weeks at number 1! How did it feel to write for two legendary artists and for the song to do so well?
I was shocked by how a song that was really therapy for me went on to also help so many other people. That was the most rewarding part. It’s an amazing feeling to have played a role in the song.
6. Have you ever written songs that you feel are too personal to release, or to give to other artists?
Yes, I’m Gonna Show You Crazy was that but I knew it had to be heard.
7. Living in LA comes with many bonuses, but also many headaches including the infamous 101 – Tell us your top thing to do to escape the madness of LA?
I like to go hiking!
8. You recently performed at the iconic Roxy Theatre on Sunset during Grammy Week. That must have been a serious party!
Performing at The Roxy was unforgettable. The energy was amazing.
9. As an artist If you could play any venue or stadium where would it be?
The Met Life Stadium.
10. What’s the best piece of advice a music industry insider has given you?
Always trust your gut.
11. What can we expect over the next year from Bebe Rexha?
Warped Tour, new music, an album, maybe a few collaborations and meeting all of YOU!
12. What’s your idea of Paradise?
A good cup of coffee, a biscotti on the beach under an umbrella, toes in the water…. listening to my favorite music!
Follow Bebe Rexha:
© Toronto Paradise 2015. All Rights Reserved.