Kate Morgan has been absolutely killing it with her new single Extra Ordinary.
Her first single Extra Ordinary was released on June 16th and has rapidly been gaining popularity ever since. The catchy pop track was produced by Ryan Stewart (Carly Rae Jepsen, Tyler Shaw etc) and with a fresh hit in hand complete with a music video shot in LA on rotation at Much Music you will definitely be hearing a whole lot more about Kate very soon.
BC born singer Kate has lived the stereotypical lifestyle of an artist in the making by travelling, waiting tables and finishing her education in the midst of working on her music career. This is what makes Kate relatable to anyone pursuing their dreams. Her music contains themes of falling in and out of love, life’s ups and downs and she has a clear understanding of what her audience is going through and wants to hear. She’s performed across the continent at several high profile festivals including Vans Warped Tour, Squamish and Canadian Music Week just to name a few and has even shared the stage with stars like Sarah McLachlan and Sheryl Crow.
Asides from being a recording artist she has shown her versatility by co-writing several songs with multi-Platinum pop star Carly Rae Jepsen, Rob Wells (Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Backstreet Boys), and JUNO Award Winning Producer of the Year Brian Howes (Hedley, Simple Plan & Nickelback).
Kate Morgan is now signed to Universal Music Canada and is in the midst of finalising her debut album. We cannot wait to check this out and will be keeping you posted as it’s sure to be an immense debut offering!
Here’s 21 things you NEED to know about Kate Morgan…
See the full interview below:
1. Where were you born?
2. What’s the first thing you thought of when you woke up this morning?
I had to drive my family to the airport at 5 AM so probably, “Why the hell am I up so early?”
3. What’s the first song you remember connecting with?
Free Fallin’- Tom Petty
4. If you could hang out with any historical figure in pop culture/politics etc, who would it be and why?
James Dean. Mostly because he’s my biggest crush, is that shallow? But also, there’s something fascinating about the show business in the 1950’s, so many super stars came out of that era. I would love to get a glimpse in to that world.
5. If you could hop on a plane right now, where would you go?
Paris, maybe Amsterdam. I’ve never been to Europe and I’m dying to go!
6. One thing that’s always in your fridge?
7. Three artists who have influenced you in your sound?
Sheryl Crow, Fleetwood Mac, Taylor Swift.
8. What’s your favourite party anthem?
King Kunta by Kendrick Lamar is my jam right now! I know I’m way late on this train but I can’t get enough.
9. If you could learn and play any instrument, what would it be?
10. If you could play on the same bill as any artist who would it be?
I would love to open for Katy Perry.
11. Tell us more about your adventure in the Extra Ordinary music video!
Such a fun/intense/exhausting day. We shot for 21 hours straight! We hiked down to this cool deserted building in the morning. The hike down wasn’t so bad but the hike back up in the heat was a workout and a half. The crew was carrying cameras and gear and wardrobe, they were amazing.
12. Peanut butter or chocolate?
Can you really have one without the other? If I absolutely had to pick, chocolate.
13. If you could record at any studio which would it be?
I would love to work at The Armoury in Vancouver.
14. Boots or stilettos?
15. Are you a dog, cat or rabbit person?
Dogs for sure. Although I once had a pet rabbit, I think we gave it to the neighbour’s kid ’cause it wasn’t very friendly.
16. What’s the strangest place you’ve gained inspiration for a song?
Honestly, the toilet.
17. If you didn’t do music, what would you be?
I would love to own a quaint little bakery/coffee shop.
18. Which emotion makes you most creative?
19. What is a highlight of your career so far?
Playing Lilith Fair. It was a while ago now, but I don’t think I’ve topped it yet.
20. What can we expect from you in a live show?
High energy, interaction, storytelling. Dancing.
21. What is Paradise to you?
Sitting at the top of a long hike, with a beautiful view and a victory beer.